Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Lab C day one

For the Lab C teaching experience we had to pick a game or activity that did not originate in America, it was to be a game/activity that is not something we do every day like basketball, football, or soccer. My partner and I decided to teach self defense. I have never taken a self defense class but I figured we could do a good job. My partner, Eddie, was a teachers assistant for self defense and is very skilled and knowledgeable in the topic. Having someone who knew the activity so well as my partner really helped out. Eddie would teach me how to do the motions, and why it was important to do so in that way and then I taught the class. Most of the students in class had already taken the self defense class and already knew how to perform the steps. The first thing I did was to teach them the respect stance. The respect stance is very important to self defense because you must show respect for your self and others before you begin. In the respect stance you stand very proud with your shoulders back, feet are positioned like this \/ with heals touching and your feet out at 45 degree angles. After teaching the class the position we played respect tag! respect tag would be a great activity to use in the next class as an instant activity. After respect tag I taught the confidence stance, then into proceeding with confidence. Next we put all the stances together in the stance sequence and then it was Eddies turn. I felt nervous before I started teaching because I have never taken self defense before, and did not really know very much about it. However as soon as I started teaching the apprehension was gone and I had a great time showing everyone how to do the moves and walking through everyone making sure that they were in the correct stance. I got to help a few more people with the confidence stance, some people did not have their knees bent, others forgot to keep their backs straight.
All and all I felt confident in my abilities to teach the class a skill that I might not excel at but that it seemed a few of the students really enjoyed. My grade was a 15.5 out of 20 so I have some things to review and improve on before I teach again. Here is a copy of my time coding form

No comments: